Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Importance of Chunking Information

When I'm presenting to teachers, we also discuss the importance of chunking information.  One teacher asked me, "Why should I chunk?  As students get older, they need to learn to do more on their own."  I do believe there are times for them to handle larger amounts of material, but especially when introducing new material, we need to stop and chunk the information so they can reflect on it.  There's more on that method in this article.

My response to her was simple.  I asked her if she had ever used a GPS or GoogleMaps.  When she replied yes, I said, "How would you like it if it gave you all the directions at once and didn't repeat them?  If we need chunking, why don't our students?"

Think about it--provide your lesson in small bites so students can reflect and apply the information.  You'll find the learning sticks longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.