Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Difference a Word Can Make (Part Two)


A word to remove from your classroom is can’t. Every time the word can’t is said, it is like a weight that drags everyone down. I did not allow anyone in my room to say can’t; it was one of our class rules. It was an impor- tant part of building a culture of high expectations. Anytime students began to say, “I can’t do this,” I would remind them of their strengths. This shifts the focus from the negative (what I cannot do) to the positive (what I can do). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.