Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Difference a Word Can Make (Part One)


Have you ever thought about the difference that one word can make? Often, when I share ideas during a workshop at a school or in a school district, I’ll hear this type of comment: “That’s a great idea, but my students can’t....but my students won’t....but my principal wouldn’t like that....but I don’t think that would work in my class...” The word but can serve as a red light or a stop sign for progress. On the other hand, when I’m in a school that is making a difference with all of its students, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, poverty level, or background, I hear this: “That’s a great idea, and here’s how I can make it work with my students.” The word and is like a green light! As you work with your most challenging students, do you think in terms of but or and? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.