Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Monday, May 6, 2013

Active Learning for Students




The foundation of active learning is involvement by both the teacher and the student. I recently spoke with a teacher who wanted me to give her a list of active versus passive learning strategies. But it’s not that simple. For example, if a teacher lectures, is that a passive activity? Not necessarily. I’ve been on the receiving end of lectures that were very engaging; I was totally involved, taking notes and making connections to my prior
experiences and my current situation. When I was in college, though, I remember a professor who lectured throughout the entire course. I wrote on notepaper during class, so he thought that I was focused on his class. In reality, I was working on my homework from another course! It isn’t the strategy—it’s how you use the strategy that makes a difference.
Students who are actively involved in a lesson or activity exhibit several key characteristics:

ACTIVE
A Attention
C Concentrated effort
T Thinking
I Involvement
V Variety
E Engagement 

photo by jppi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.